Experience and Expertise
Hayley Ellison is a commercial trial and appellate lawyer, focusing on difficult litigation for clients in state and federal courts throughout the United States. She began her practice in 2012 after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Royal Furgeson in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas and as a briefing attorney to the Honorable Sandee Bryan Marion with the Texas Fourth Court of Appeals in San Antonio.
Hayley has second chair civil trial experience involving complex, high-exposure claims in the interstate natural gas and oil transportation sectors, as many of her clients are international energy corporations with real estate and infrastructure interests in North America. She has been part of trial teams that:
• obtained a $1.8 million net judgment for an oil and gas developer against an international bank and its affiliate, which was affirmed on appeal by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals;
• arbitrated a construction cost overrun dispute before the ICC International Court of Arbitration, obtaining a take-nothing award on contractor’s claims and a $1.8 million award in delay damages for an interstate oil pipeline;
• won complete summary judgment in federal district court in favor of an interstate natural gas pipeline in a dispute involving natural gas odorization with an adjoining property;
• won a net jury award of over $600,000 for a Dallas commercial property owner in a suit for breach of a commercial lease agreement; and
• represent an interstate natural gas pipeline in a $32 million claim for breach of payment obligations pursuant to a FERC-approved tariff.
In addition, Hayley has represented individuals regarding a variety of business claims and disputes, such as:
• Leases and other contractual breaches
• Misappropriation of intellectual property
• Restrictive covenants
• Employment agreements
• Construction delays and cost overruns
• Fraudulent transfers
An experienced briefing attorney, Hayley has represented clients in appeals before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Dallas Court of Appeals, and the New York State Appellate Division, as well as co-authored an amicus curiae brief to the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of the Interstate Natural Gas Association of America.
St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. 2010
Trinity University, B.A. (Political Science) 2007
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Hayley is actively involved with the Junior League of Dallas and currently serves as Project Chair for the Dallas Zoo. In addition, Hayley volunteers her time as a Louis A. Bedford, Jr. Mentor at the UNT Dallas College of Law in downtown Dallas, and as an adult English literacy instructor at Literacy Achieves (formerly the Vickery Meadow Learning Center). In her free time, she cooks, practices yoga, and enjoys walking her dogs at White Rock Lake.
Direct Dial: (214) 780-1321
Fax: (214) 780-1401