Experience and Expertise
Talmage Boston’s practice involves all aspects of dispute resolution in commercial transactions. With more than 40 years of business litigation experience in Dallas, Talmage has tried jury cases and argued appeals all over Texas in both state and federal courts. Talmage is board certified (and has been recertified many times) in both Civil Trial Law and Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
He’s had extensive first-chair jury trial experience in real estate, banking, energy, business fraud, construction, intellectual property, condemnation, consumer protection and contractual disputes.
He’s also been attorney of record in 27 published opinions, including arguments to Texas Supreme Court, most Texas courts of appeal, and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Commercial Litigation – Trial and Appellate
Talmage is a member of the Dallas Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, and the American Bar Association.
He served as the 2003-2004 Chairman of the Litigation Section for the State Bar of Texas and as the 2004-2005 Chairman of the Council of Chairs for the State Bar. In June 2011, he completed his three-year term as a member of the Board of Directors of the State Bar of Texas. He also is a past Chairperson of the Business Litigation Section of the Dallas Bar Association.
Talmage has been one of the most sought-after seminar speakers at State Bar and Dallas Bar Association litigation seminars, speaking on the following topics: summary judgment practice, “Dos and Don’ts in the Courtroom,” arbitration, and a wide variety of litigation ethics topics. He has also been a featured speaker at the ABA Annual Meeting 2012-2017, and at the State Bar Conventions of Texas, Arkansas, Nebraska, New Hampshire, and Kentucky.
University of Texas at Austin
B.A., Economics, 1975, cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
All U.S. District Courts in Texas
United States 5th Circuit Court of Appeals
Talmage is the author of Cross-Examining History: A Lawyer Gets Answers From the Experts About Our Presidents (Bright Sky Press 2016, foreword by Ken Burns), with dust jack endorsements by David McCullough, James A. Baker, III, Jon Meacham, Harold Holzer, Douglas Brinkley, Evan Thomas, and H.W. Brands.
He’s also the author of Raising the Bar: The Crucial Role of the Lawyer in Society (Texas Bar Books 2012, foreword by Dick Thornburgh, former Attorney General of the United States under Presidents Reagan and Bush), dust jacket endorsements from former U.S. Secretary of State James A. Baker III; former Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace Jefferson; CNN Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin; former U.S. Solicitor General Ken Starr; and lawyer turned best-selling novelist Richard North Patterson.
He’s also the author of 1939: Baseball’s Tipping Point (Bright Sky Press 2005, foreword by John Grisham); and Baseball and the Baby Boomer (Bright Sky Press 2009, foreword by Frank Deford). He’s been inducted as a Media Member into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame; and on May 30, 2014, he assembled and moderated a program televised on C-SPAN entitled “Baseball & American Life,” in which his panelists were United States Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, the Washington Post’s George Will, the New York Times’ David Brooks, ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian, and USA Today’s Christine Brennan.
Professional & Community Involvement
• State Bar of Texas (Board of Editors, Texas Bar Journal)
• Dallas Bar Foundation (Board Member)
• World Affairs Council of DFW (Board Member)
• SMU’s Maguire Center for Ethics and Public Responsibility (Advisory Board Member)
• SMU’s Perkins School of Theology (Executive Board Member)
Awards & Recognition
• The Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year” – Dallas Litigation Banking & Finance, Woodward/White Inc., 2015 and 2018
• The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White Inc., 2013-2018
• Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, every year since inception in 2003 (profiled in October 2005); and Top 100 in Dallas/Fort Worth, 2010
• The only lawyer in Texas ever to receive the State Bar of Texas Presidential Citation Award for outstanding service to the State Bar in eight different years (2005-2011, and 2018)
• Featured in Dallas Morning News “High Profile,” April 2005, and Dallas Morning News “Q&A,” May 2012
Direct Dial: (214) 780-1310; Cell: (214) 502-6080
Fax: (214) 780-1401